Search This Blog

Most Annoying Preschool TV Shows

For the most part, I don't mind my four-year-old daughter's TV habits. I can easily sit through a half-hour of "Go Diego Go" or "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic," and there are times that I even enjoy it. Some shows have even proven to be very educational and fulfilling for my daughter. However, some preschool TV shows are so awful that I can't even grit my teeth and tolerate them. Here are the absolute worst TV shows for preschoolers, in this mom's not-so-humble opinion.
Sid the Science Kid
I don't have a good reason to hate this show. I love science, my daughter loves science, and there's no particular thing about the show that grates my nerves. However, something about this jaunty educational show just bugs me. It might be the irritating voices, the characters' creepy facial expressions, the bizarre songs, or the generally discombobulated story lines. At any rate, I dislike the show enough that I won't let my daughter watch it when I'm in the room.
Caillou
I know many parents and children who love this show, but my daughter and I both dislike it. The title character's voice is whiny and annoying. Most parents have plenty of opportunities to hear little kids whine and make elementary observations. I'm not going to waste my daughter's limited screen time letting her hear a cartoon doing the same thing any two-to-five-year-old does every day.
Higglytown Heroes
Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I'm troubled and disturbed by the entire theme of Higglytown Heroes. The purpose of this awful preschool TV show is to highlight the "heroes" of everyday life. Kids watching Higglytown Heroes learn that photographers, locksmiths, and bike repairmen are heroes. While I see the importance of honoring the efforts and contributions of the working class, I find the frivolous use of the word "hero" upsetting. I don't want my daughter to learn that a hero is someone who waits tables. I want her to know that a hero is a doctor who saves lives for free, a Peace Corps member who risks his life bringing aid to the third world, or a foster parent who surrenders her time and money to help desperate children in need.
Ni Hao, Kai Lan
This preschool TV show is like being forced to eat spoonful after spoonful of blue icing with sprinkles. It's way, way, way too happy. The main character smiles constantly and talks in a loud, overly enthusiastic voice that makes Dora sound mellow by comparison. I hate to be a Scrooge, but this show is just too sunshiney for me to tolerate. I don't think I could sit through another episode of Ni Hao, Kai Lan even if the alternative were to watch hours of Caillou and Sid.
Preschool TV shows are one of the most unfortunate and, at times, unbearable aspects of parenthood. Although I know all parents and kids have different opinions about the worst shows for preschoolers, there are a few that I personally can't stand. Which TV shows for preschoolers do you despise?

No comments:

Post a Comment