Search This Blog

In Defense of Politically Correct Parenting

Other parents have, on many occasions, called my parenting style "politically correct." Maybe it is -- I do make an effort to use language that includes the full spectrum of human religion, race, ability, orientation and gender identity. I make a point of discussing issues like racism and disability with my child. We read books about family diversity, vegetarianism, and respect for the environment. As extreme as many parents find this, I see nothing wrong with the way I communicate with my kid.
While most people cringe when they think about politically correct parenting, I will continue to use and defend this ever-controversial parenting style. Here's why I see nothing wrong with being the crazy liberal mom.
1. It's not about what's "correct"-- it's about what's right. Those who oppose politically correct parenting usually bristle at the notion that any mode of behavior or speech is incorrect. To me, though, inclusive, peaceful parenting isn't about teaching kids to be "correct." The goal is to teach them to do what's right, and to care about other people. If there's something wrong with teaching kids kindness and compassion, we are living in an extremely disturbed world.
2. I'm not teaching conformity. I do not ask my daughter to conform to PC standard set by the status quo. I ask her to go against the status quo. To be politically correct -- to deliberately make an effort to be inclusive and compassionate -- is actually a radical lifestyle choice. While folks often characterize politically correct parents as a mindless herd, we are, in fact, mavericks within mainstream America. I am not teaching my child to blindly follow a "correct" mode l-- I'm teaching her to do the right thing even when it's not typical.
3. My child is a part of the future generation. My grandparents' generation used the n-word in everyday speech. My parents' generation used "retarded" as an insult. My own generation uses the word "gay" to mean "stupid" or "unpleasant." I am not raising my child to live in the past. I recognize that the world is advancing every day, and that offensive slurs we use today will soon be obsolete and taboo. Why handicap my child by making her live in the oppressive past?
4. I want my daughter to get along with people.
What kind of friend would my child be, if she is shocked when she meets a child with two moms or adopted siblings? How can she get along with other children if she holds prejudices about race and nationality? How good of a person will she be if she refuses to associate with people who are disabled? As a "politically correct" mom, I think I enable my daughter's long-term social success.
5. I refuse to restrict my parenting based on social convention. Politically correct parenting may not be popular -- and, ironically, it isn't "politically correct" in and of itself, by some standards. However, I have never been one to bow down to a perception of normalcy when it comes to my interactions with my child. My commitment to my daughter's moral development supersedes my need to avoid labels like "politically correct."

No comments:

Post a Comment