Search This Blog

5 Signs Your Kids Love You

I've never once questioned the fact that I love my daughter. From the day I saw two pink lines on a pregnancy test to the day I draw my last breath, my love for my daughter will be deep, complete and unconditional. Still, I'm slightly less confident about my daughter's love for me. I know that she loves me -- sure -- but how can I keep this in mind when she's having a tantrum at 3 or rebelling as a teenager?
The fact is that, whether we parents recognize it or not, our children do love us -- and they do appreciate and respect us far more than we often realize. Here are a few simple, common signs that your children love you.
1. She comes to you for comfort. Whether your child is 6 months old or 16 years old, she comes to you when she needs comfort. If your kids feel safe and loved in your arms, it's a clear sign that they trust you completely and view you as a hero. If your child didn't love you, she wouldn't view you as a secure, comforting base during times of stress.
2. He gives you gifts.
By the preschool years, most children will start giving their parents gifts. Dandelion bouquets, homemade cards and finger-paintings are all signs that our kids love us. As they get older, they'll express their love with more grown-up gifts. We become so accustomed to gift-giving that we forget that it is a sign of love. Don't take these little tokens of appreciation for granted -- they mean that your kids love you.
3. She responds to your emotions. Your baby bursts into tears when she sees you cry. Your grade-schooler offers hugs when you've had a bad day. Your teenager eases off when you've had a bad day. While our kids are usually selfish, glimpses of affection and empathy come out day-by-day. When it's all said and done, your kids want to see you happy.
4. He wants to be like you.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery -- and often the deepest expression of love when it comes from our children. If your child intentionally adopts your mannerisms, interests and beliefs, it's clear that he admires you sincerely. While we all want our kids to have individual identities, there are few feelings better than hearing a child say, "I want to grow up to be YOU!"
5. She says so. Nothing says "I love you" like saying "I love you." We hear our kids echo their love-you-toos nonchalantly, to the point that it's easy to forget the real meaning behind those words. But, whether your child shells out this reminder during breakfast, a bad day, or he boards the school bus, make a point of really hearing and absorbing those words. You already know that you love your kids. Make a point of also knowing that they love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment