Search This Blog

Top 10 Benefits of Being a Parent

Parents have the world's hardest and most important job-- and it comes without a paycheck. When we choose to have children, we accept that we'll have less money, less free time and far more responsibilities than ever before. Almost all mothers and fathers love their children, but it can be hard to see the benefits of parenting amid the extra challenges.

The benefits of being a parent vary tremendously from family to family; what is true for one family may not be true for another. But instead of focusing on the difficulties that we face, let's look for a moment at what makes being a parent so special-- and so much fun.
1. You get to be a kid again.
As a mom to a toddler, I get to do all sorts of fun things that I thought I was too old for. I get to swing on monkey-bars, watch cartoons, and catch tadpoles in forest streams. I didn't get a happy childhood the first time around, but my daughter has allowed me to re-live some of the most treasured moments of my youth. Candyland, hide-and-seek, and ant farms were something I could not rightfully re-live without a child by my side-- at least, not without getting a few raised eyebrows from the neighbors.
2. There's magic everywhere.
"How it comes down?" my daughter asked me, gesturing to the raindrops falling outside. When you have a child, you're able to notice the magic in every day life. The trail of ants on your front porch, the airplane drawing a line across the sky, and the spider building her web all seem like tiny miracles. It's easy to forget how miraculous our daily lives are until we have children to remind us.
3. Lonely no more.
It would be unhealthy to have a child simply because you're lonely-- and that cuddly newborn will, one day, be thirteen. However, I've noticed that parents are usually far less lonely than people without children. With my daughter in my life, I feel more whole. My spare time is no longer consumed with vapid television shows or dull nights at the bar. Instead, I spend my spare time going for long walks with my adoring child and husband. I never feel lonely anymore.
4. You get to be a hero.
Near-constant admiration is one of the greatest benefits of being a parent. To a baby or a toddler, everything that Mom and Dad do will seem like a heroic feat. You know how to make funny sounds. You can reach high places. You know how to operate the DVD player. Fellow grown-ups may not be impressed with your completely normal abilities, but your child will view you as a hero. The ego-boost doesn't hurt.
5. Immortality.
I don't know what the future holds in store for me, for my husband, or for my daughter. But, if I discovered tomorrow that I had a terminal illness, I would take comfort in knowing that I made an imprint on the world. I created a human being and I helped her become a smart, loving individual who will touch the lives of other people. While childless people can still influence on the world around them, parenting is one of the most enjoyable, transformative ways to do it.
6. Appreciation from all ends.
Many parents and parents-to-be feel underappreciated, but I've noticed that I get more recognition for being a good parent than I would have expected. Total strangers will comment that I relate well to my daughter, that she is well-behaved, and that we clearly have a solid relationship. Before I had a child, no one cared if I was poor or hungry or struggling emotionally. Now that my daughter is part of my life, more people-- even complete strangers-- seem to care about my well-being. The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world, and almost every sensitive person acknowledges that.
7. Motivation.
Before I was a parent, it didn't matter much if I didn't take care of my body, or if I lost my job, or if I got depressed and shut myself off from the world. for a few weeks Now, if I neglect myself, I'm also neglecting my child. That gives me the motivation to be a better, healthier person. This is one of the best and most universal benefits of being a parent-- we have the motivation to take care of ourselves. I take care of my home, my body, and my spirit because my presence is important to my daughter. As a side benefit, I'm happier and healthier than ever before.
8. Wisdom.
My daughter has taught me more about humanity than any other individual I have encountered. She's helped me understand how people learn to walk, speak, read, and fall in love. The depth of human emotion was a mystery to me until I witnessed a person-- my daughter-- undergo the process of becoming an individual. As I watched her evolve from a rice-sized fleck on an ultrasound to a complex individual, I learned more about the world and the marvelous race of people who inhabit it.
9. Compassion.
One major benefit of parenting is the emotional transformation that it entails. To me, every human being is now someone's child. I can't hate my moody neighbor, and I can't judge my apathetic coworker, if I view them through the eyes of a concerned parent. Instead of ridiculing people who seem different from me, I ask myself how I would feel if I were looking at my own child-- and I am able to look at them through a lens of understanding. Parenting has instilled me with a sense of empathy that I once lacked. I am a more caring individual.
10. The Pride of Parenting.
My daughter was riding her beloved rocking-horse when her friend, who is three, asked for a turn. My daughter dismounted her wooden steed and said, "Here you go! Sharing is so much fun. Take care my rock-horse, please." This action doesn't deserve a Nobel prize, but it did make me feel warm inside-- it reminded me that I am succeeding in raising a loving individual. Whether my child goes on to discover the cure for cancer or simply to be a good friend to someone who needs help, I will be proud of her. And I will be proud of myself for helping her become the loving individual I know she can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment