Search This Blog

My Two-Year-Old Can't Jump: Should I Worry?

My daughter was behind average on almost all of her physical milestones. She didn't roll over until 4 months, crawl until 9 months or walk until 15 months. I shouldn't have been surprised that she couldn't jump at the time of her second birthday, but I was still concerned that she might be showing symptoms of a gross motor developmental delay.

After seeing my daughter's same-age friend leaping, skipping and riding a tricycle with ease, my fears got the best of me. I marched into the pediatrician's office in a mild panic and urgently stated, "My two-year-old can't jump!"
The "why would you be concerned?" expressions on the nurses faces instantly reassured me. Then, my daughter's pediatrician-- as usual-- helped to allay my concerns.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, a two-year-old should be able to run, kick a ball, stand on tiptoe, climb up and down furniture, and walk down stars with help. Deviation from these norms may rarely indicate te presence of a physical or neurological disability. However, jumping is not considered to be a critical milestone for children in this age group.
A toddler typically learns to jump several months to one year after he masters walking. For children like my daughter, who walk later than average, there is usually no need to be concerned if the child can not jump at two years old. In fact, some healthy children can not jump until age three or later.
One milestone chart recommends a developmental evaluation for two-year-olds who can't jump at 30 months of age. If your two-year-old still can't jump at 30 months, let your pediatrician know. An evaluation can determine the presence of a gross motor developmental delay or other condition. Early help, including physical therapy, can mitigate this problem.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers a slightly more liberal assessment of jumping as a milestone in toddlers. AAP urges parents to consult a health care provider if a toddler can not jump at any point between three and four years of age. However, the organization does not express concern about two-year-olds who are unable to jump.
If you are concerned about your two-year-old who can't jump, a "wait-and-see" approach is probably acceptable. After thirty months of age, a visit to the pediatrician may help to ease some of your concerns or address an underlying problem. As long as your child's other developmental milestones are on track, it is unlikely that his inability to jump signals a serious developmental delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment