Search This Blog

How My Child's Cat Helped Her Appreciate Me

"I'm your mommy," my four-year-old declared to her new cat, "And you're supposed to listen to what I say. I know that kitties aren't supposed to have chocolate, but you keep trying to eat it anyway. This is not axe-pectable."
Through my daughter's budding adventure as the "mom" to a housecat, she has begun to learn that motherhood isn't nearly as easy as it looks. I knew that the cat-- a gift for my daughter's fourth birthday-- would help her to become more responsible, but I had no idea that it would instill her with a new-found respect for my role as a mother.
This became even more apparent when I explained to my daughter that I changed about 5,500 diapers during the three years before she was potty-trained. I explained that, to equal that many poop clean-ups, she would have to clean out her cat's litter-box every single day from now until the time she's a grown-up. The idea stunned her.
I've realized, over the last few weeks, that there is no better way to teach your children to appreciate the responsibilities of parenthood than to put them in a position of "parenthood" themselves, where they are entrusted with the care of an animal who must be fed, groomed, toileted and entertained. Although my daughter loves her cat dearly, she is well aware of how much work is involved in caring for him-- and understands that caring for a child is even more of a struggle.
My cat has helped my daughter to appreciate the role that I play in her life. When I prepare a meal for her, clean up a mess she has made, or take an hour off of work to take her to the playground, she now thanks me for my time and effort. Now, as a "mom" herself, she gets that these things involve more effort than one might initially expect.
She has also become remarkably more obedient-- understanding that, just as she is wiser than her cat and knows what is best for him, I am wiser than her and know what is best for her. When I insist that she do something, she only asks "Why?" in a curious manner, not in a defiant manner, and tends to comply more readily with my requests and suggestions. This has made motherhood far easier for me.
I'm glad to know that, after four years of effort and dedication, my daughter has begun to have an idea of just how much I love her, and just how much I do for her. I hope that our family's cat will continue to help my daughter become wiser, more respectful, and more appreciative of her family. My daughter's emerging respect for me is just one of the many reasons that I'm glad I got my daughter her own pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment