Search This Blog

Best Nontoxic, Green Insect Repellents

The smell of DEET, the chemical used in Off and other conventional insect repellents, has always made me dizzy and nauseated. I'm not the only one who has this reaction to these environmentally hazardous fumes. The Environmental Protection Agency, while allowing the minimally regulated use of DEET, acknowledges that it has caused at least 46 seizures, including 4 deaths, as of 1996. DEET has also been linked to complaints like body aches, mood disturbances and insomnia. Personally, I don't feel eager about spraying it on myself or my three-year-old daughter.
Fortunately, I've found plenty of effective, green alternatives to DEET and other hazardous insect repellents. These natural products contain nontoxic essential oils that repel pests by creating a smell that the insects find unpleasant or unbearable. Here are a few of the best natural insect repellents on the market.
Burt's Bees All Natural Outdoor Herbal Insect Repellent 
This is, by far, my favorite natural insect repellent. Comprised of lemongrass oil, citronella oil and rosemary oil, suspended in grapeseed oil, this herbal repellent has a pleasant scent and is incredibly effective. Its scent is pleasant to humans-- so much so that I think it could function as a natural cologne. I've worn it out in wooded areas infested with both mosquitoes and ticks, but I haven't gotten any significant bites while wearing it. Because it's oil-based, it tends to cling even after sweating, so it's a great idea to wear it while biking, hiking, backpacking or camping. You can find a bottle of Burt's Bees insect repellent at a natural products store or pharmacy for about $8.
Green Ban
Green Ban is another very pleasant-smelling natural insect repellent. I was first introduced to this product while participating in a volunteer project in tick-infested woods. I did not get a single tick bite the entire time that I was volunteering, but my co-volunteers, who were wearing DEET, all had several bites by the time the job was done. By the end of the project, my bottle of Green Ban had become a popular remedy for the entire crew. The best part: this natural repellent is suspended in a softening, healing base of calendula and soy oil. Unlike DEET and other "chemical" repellents, it is actually soothing rather than irritating to bug-bitten skin. Green Ban is now hard to find, but costs an average of about $12 per bottle where available.

Repel HG-406T Lemon Eucalyptus Spray
Lemon eucalyptus oil is highly effective as a natural pest repellent, and it is essentially nontoxic. The Environmental Protection Agency has registered this ingredient as effective and safe for repelling mosquitoes, ticks, and other disease-carrying, biting pests. Although I didn't find this spray as pleasant-smelling as some other natural products, it is exceedingly effective. Knowing that it is approved by the EPA as a safe insect repellent, I felt confident using it on my three-year-old daughter. A bottle of Repel's lemon eucalyptus spray will run about $12 at a pharmacy or health food store. Remember to reapply it if you're sweating a lot; it does tend to run off of moist or sweaty skin.

Jason Natural Products Quit Bugging Me! 

Jason Natural is one of my favorite go-to brands for effective natural solutions to common problems. This earthy, nontoxic, plant-based product is light in its fragrance, so it's perfect for people with allergies or sensitive noses. The product manufacturers recommend it even for the youngest of children, so you can feel fairly confident using it on babies and toddlers. Because it is comparatively light, it's best not to use this one when you're involved in heavy outdoor activities in severely infested areas. This one's more suited to a summer evening walk than a hardcore trek down the Appalachian trail. Pick up a bottle for about $10 at your nearest health food store. 

10 comments:

  1. What exactly perform soft drinks, fast food French chips, margarine, greens dressing, and also ingrown toenail flakes many have got in keeping? They each contain GMOs (genetically changed organisms) likewise realize seeing that genetically changed or perhaps engineered food. Stay with me pertaining to advice towards the in most cases enquired issues with regards to GMOs. Banned bug-killer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best and Useful article. There are very few best mosquito repellent available in market which are not environmentally hazardous fumes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not knew the right ways of exterminating pests, unless I read this blog post about getting rid of insects and bugs. Now, I have freed my home from varied types of pests successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have full trust in pestcontrolsiouxfalls.com for Pest Control in Sioux Falls harmlessly. It is one of the best pest control services in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DEET has gotten a beating in the last couple of years - but it should have been earlier. My kids and I are allergic to DEET and it's a good thing that a lot of companies have seen the cons of DEET and other chemicals. Most have started going DEET-free and natural, which is a wise move. Also, thanks for the list of great products. We've been using Burt Bees for quite some time and have seen its efficacy when we go camping and those pesky mosquitoes come biting. There are still a lot of stellar products in the market. Most can be found in this site so hop on http://myoutdoorslife.com/gear/camping-and-hiking/best-insect-repellent.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. best mosquito repellent

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I have never imagined of toxic insect repellants, even though the DEET seems to have some effect on me whenever I use an insect repellant. I thank you for educating me on the nontoxic version. I will try the Green Ban for a change. Check more options here: http://wildernessmastery.com/camping-and-hiking/homemade-insect-repellant.html

    ReplyDelete