Search This Blog

4 Best Feminist Books for Kids

I'm proud to say that I am raising a feminist daughter. At 3 years old, she will gladly "play princess" -- an activity that most often involves rescuing a knight from a dragon using peaceful negotiation. She's also happy to declare that she'll be a paleontologist or a mechanic when she grows up. This either makes me the world's greatest role model or the world's worst; I'm not sure which.
My daughter's feminist book collection is part of the reason for her independent, quirky, headstrong attitude. While I can't say there's anything wrong with kids who act in stereotypically feminine manners, I do find it refreshing that my little girl is confident enough to wear boys' clothes and rescue imaginary knights. Here are a few of my favorite feminist kids' books.
1. "He Bear, She Bear"
(Stan and Jan Berenstain)
The classic Berenstain Bears books weren't exactly emblems of modern feminism. Mama and Papa Bear live in a classic nuclear family, with Papa working outside the home and Mama raising the kids and maintaining the home. Nevertheless, Stan and Jan Berenstain released this kids' feminist manifesto in 1974, when its message was still fairly novel. In short, rhyming text, this children's book explains that men and women can both be teachers, doctors, police officers and knitters. This book is ideal for 2- to 4-year-olds, who are just learning gender differences and are most prone to misconceptions. For older kids, the emphasis on equality could actually be counterproductive. If an 8-year-old has never even heard the notion that a woman can't be a doctor, it could actually introduce sexism instead of defeating it.
2. "Girls Who Looked Under Rocks" (Jeannine Atkins)
I nearly squealed with delight when I saw this book. I remembered myself as that "weird" girl that turned over rocks to examine the bugs and worms underneath them. And, as I opened this beautiful, feminist children's book, I recognized the names of many of my ecofeminist heroes: Miriam Rothschild, Rachel Carson, Jane Goodall, and others. This book is incredibly inspiring and powerful for all the girls in the world who dare to get dirty and explore the great outdoors. I enjoy sharing this one with my daughter, because it contains an inspiring feminist lesson, as well as important lessons in environmentalism.
3. "The Paper Bag Princess" (Robert N. Munsch)
This one turns all princess stereotypes upside down in a manner that is humorous and sarcastic. In the story, the protaganist has all of her fancy clothes and royal goodies destroyed by a dragon, who then kidnaps her handsome prince. She saves him, but finds him to be ungrateful and rude: he only criticizes her for looking unglamorous. In this tongue-in-cheek fairy tale, the princess does not have a happily ever after with her prince. As he deserves, she kicks him to the curb and goes about her brave, independent life. While a few feminist parents may find the message of this book a bit too harsh, I personally found it enthralling and fun. My daughter giggles her way through every page.
4. "Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?
" (Carmela LaVigna Coyle)
This feminist children's book is perfect for the aspiring princess. In rhyme, the central character of this book asks questions about real-life princesses. This one may lack fantasy and imagination, but it makes up for it with exciting facts. As the story explains, princesses do wear hiking boots. They get dirty, they play outdoors, they eat their vegetables, and they mind their parents. The final page concludes that, "A princess is a place in your heart." It's refreshing relief from the patriarchal and consumerist culture that dominates children's fantasies of the royal world.

No comments:

Post a Comment